By now, you’ve probably seen more than a few snippets teasing behind-the-scenes details from the making of Black Panther online. If you’re anything like me, they’ve pushed seeing all the special features and bonus material further up your list of things to do in May.
Starting May 8, you can add Black Panther to your digital library and this Tuesday (May 15), you can bring the Black Panther Blu-Ray home. It’ll be interesting to see the domestic numbers once double feature “re-watches” stop being a thing. But I’m sure this won’t faze Avenger’s Infinity War domestic numbers…much.
Now, I’ve never pretended I’m not biased in favor of Black Panther. I appreciated and enjoyed it through multiple viewings.
My top reasons:
- This film’s a great big screen intro of a multi-dimensional black superhero (I don’t say first because hello, Blade)
- It starts a new franchise with rich and evolving source material that never shies away from being controversial and politically aware, and
- Black Panther stands as proof that talent and diversity (FYI this isn’t a concept black/ white defines) in front of – and behind the camera – is a net gain for the audience.
‘Black Panther’ Blu-Ray Special Features and Extras
One of the things I love best about owning a movie are the extras and explanations included on the disc. It’s why I’m rarely satisfied with a digital download.
The extras included with the feature Black Panther devel into all facets of how Ryan Coogler’s direction and film production seamlessly marries the many themes to the main story arc and subplots.
The film displays consistently skillful storytelling, as key characters and elements are introduced then swiftly incorporated into the story progression. After you make it through the disc extras, you’ll be even more impressed by how it all came together.
Found on the Blu-ray:
• Director’s Intro
• From Page to Screen: A Roundtable Discussion – Delve into the film’s making
• Crowning of a New King – Explore the world of ‘Black Panther’ in all its color and complexity
• The Warriors Within – Get to know Wakanda’s women and the actors who portray them
• The Hidden Kingdom Revealed – Wakanda’s diverse people
• Wakanda Revealed: Exploring the Technology
• U.N. Meet and Greet
• Okoye And W’Kabi Discuss the Future of Wakanda
• T’Challa Remembers His Father
• Voices from the Past
• Exclusive Sneak Peek at “Ant-Man and The Wasp”
• Marvel Studios the First Ten Years: Connecting the Universe
• Director’s Commentary
• In World Wakanda Tourism Ads
• Come to Wakanda “Before”
• Come to Wakanda “After”
And that’s before you (re) watch the film with the commentary turned on.
Trust me, take a minute and decide which edition you’ll be hitting stores to pick up May 15th:
- 4K Cinematic Universe Edition (4K UHD+Blu-ray+Digital),
- Multi-Screen Edition (Blu-ray+Digital),
- Digital UHD, HD, SD, HD Bundle (“Black Panther”+”Captain America: Civil War”),
- DVD and
Do you plan to bring Black Panther home? Let us in the comments! Don’t forget to give the Privacy / Terms and Conditions Of Use a read.